How KISS Can Help You Cook A Perfectly Roasted Pumpkin
By KD Traegner, Founder & Editor-in-Chief
It’s pumpkin time! Fall is my favorite season, I love the crisp air, the leaves crackling under my feet, and the fun that October brings in the form of Halloween. Or, should I say, Vegan MoFo? By now I anticipate that everyone has at least heard of Vegan MoFo so I won’t go into details here. You can check out their website for all the details if you’re interested.
What I am going to tell you is that I will be participating in Vegan MoFo this year, which means that you’ll get a new vegan food post every day from me for the whole month of October. To keep things organized like, you’ll be able to find all of the YDV Vegan MoFo posts in one spot. See that new spiff-tastic button over there on the sidebar? (mobile users will be able to navigate using the menu bar at the top of the site) Click that bad boy and you’ve got yourself some MoFo readin’.
As for those awesome looking pumpkins up there, they was delicious. To prepare a perfectly roasted pumpkin follow these easy steps:
- Find a 3-4 pound pumpkin. Small ones work best when roasting whole, plus they are usually sweeter than larger pumpkins.
- Wash pumpkin and trim off the stem.
- Using a sharp knife, add several holes to let steam escape. Don’t cut yourself.
- Place pumpkin on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper (or glass pan) to catch drippings.
- Roast pumpkin in a preheated (hey, preheat your oven) 325° oven until tender.
- Let cool, scoop seeds out (roast them w/olive oil and salt..mmmmm) and enjoy!
Once your pumpkin is perfectly roasted, you can do a million things with it. Try making some Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies, or this recipe for Quick Vegan Pumpkin Seed Brittle. There’s this one for Thai Pumpkin Soup that sounds awesome. So does this Warm Roast Pumpkin Salad and this, Pumpkin Alfredo. One of my favorite ways to use roasted pumpkin is in my oatmeal. I just throw a scoop or two in after they’re cooked for glorious pumpkin-y goodness. There are no shortages of awesome pumpkin recipes out there if you look, trust me.
Oh and okay, perhaps KISS can’t help you cook the perfect roasted pumpkin, but it’s sure fun to roast KISS pumpkins. So, lick it up- roasted pumpkins are awesome.