Browsing Category

BLOG

Home|5 Netflix Documentary Picks for Vegan Viewers

5 Netflix Documentary Picks for Vegan Viewers

By Amy Bradley, Guest Contributor

Editor’s note: The information in this article written in 2013 is now several years old. Don’t worry! I have a guide that is always up-to-date! Visit Vegan Netflix Guide to learn more. – KD

Even if you don’t ever need to watch another video to convince you that the way most people eat in this country is S.A.D., maybe you like to stay connected to the latest titles to learn new tricks to the vegan lifestyle. All of the documentaries listed here – available on Netflix – provoke thought about the profound effects of our everyday choices — and they’ll help to stimulate dialogue with other viewers.

1. Vegucated (2010): I was lucky enough to catch this on the big screen when the director, Marisa Wolfson, came to Columbus on her Vegucated tour! The Vegucated crew follows three New Yorkers, from a variety of backgrounds, who go vegan for six weeks to discover the health benefits and bite off more than they can chew when they learn about the dirty side of the meat and dairy industries.
  2. Forks Over Knives (2011): Two doctors, Dr. T. Colin Campbell, from Cornell University, and Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, a former surgeon at the Cleveland Clinic, share their personal and professional journeys of discovering dietary links between animal-based foods and chronic disease. They show how plant-based foods prevent and even reverse disease, bringing in other experts from the field.
  3. Earthlings (2007): Earthlings dares you to watch it. This hard-hitting documentary, featuring Joaquin Phoenix, uses graphic footage to open people’s eyes to how animals are exploited for human uses, and all 95 minutes will keep your fists clenched around your damp tissues. Grab the tissue box, leave the snacks, take a deep breath, and prepare to be transformed!
  4. The Cove (2009): This Oscar-winning film, shot by courageous activists, opens a huge window into one Japanese town where an industry herds and kills dolphins for meat. The film follows a former dolphin trainer for the TV show Flipper who wants to redeem himself for exploiting these highly intelligent and sensitive animals. Again, grab the tissue box!
  5. Crazy Sexy Cancer (2007): The charismatic Kris Carr shares her journey through cancer to optimal health. She takes viewers through juicing, yoga, diet and all kinds of lifestyle changes with playful humor. There’s even a little romance in it. :)

Kudos to these instant Netflix picks for being informative, entertaining, and generally awesome:

• The Engine 2 Kitchen Rescue (2011): Go shopping with Engine 2 firefighter Rip Esselstyn and learn how to make sweet potato lasagna. Maybe he’ll come to a kitchen near you, soon?
  • Beyond the Myth: A Film About Breed Discrimination (2010): This documentary challenges the myth that Pit Bulls are inherently violent, dangerous dogs, and challenges the laws that discriminate against the breed. I added this title that is not about animals used for food, because this issue is close to my heart, as I have two rescued pit mixes as sweet and loving family members.

Photo credit: used with permission, copyright Get Vegucated LLC

You don’t need to subscribe to Netflix or another streaming service to find a vegan film! I’ve created Vegan Flicks, a vegan movie library filled with vegan and vegan-centric movies and TV shows- all of which will provoke thought about the profound effects of our everyday choices. Grab some popcorn and browse the large library to find movies for every interest: health, environment, ethics- it’s all covered on Vegan Flicks.

Go to Vegan Flicks
June 14th, 2013|Lifestyle|

About the Author:

In addition to her deeply-held vegan values, Amy Bradley is vegan for the more practical reason that the vegan bakery is closest to her home. She has been vegan and an animal rights activist for 14 years and loves to adopt and foster companion animals. The furry members of her household outnumber the humans, so the dogs take over the couch while she, her husband and son pet them from their place on the floor. Amy taught high school for ten years and works in education. Her students informed her that she not only wears her veganism on her sleeve (literally) but shouts it from a megaphone (occasionally).

22 Comments

1. Marites March 16, 2017 at 1:00 am - Reply

“Chef’s Table” Season 3 Episode 1 is about a Korean Buddhist nun named Jeong Kwan. All of her dishes are vegan. It’s lovely.

2. tony martin January 21, 2017 at 12:10 pm - Reply

If you are into Science Fiction (a genre that propelled me to stop eating meat 39 years ago) then check out Travelers on Netflix. The time travelers are. naturally, vegan. Makes sense, no?

3. Animals Life NET August 29, 2016 at 6:57 am - Reply

Earthlings is probably the most interesting and thought-provoking film in this list.

4. Mary May 24, 2016 at 7:14 pm - Reply

Fantastic list. Forks over knifes is one of my favorites. I did not realize Vegetated was on Netflix, have wanted to see it so will be checking it out tonight.

5. […] Your Daily Vegan – The Cove, Crazy Sexy Cancer, The Engine 2 Kitchen Rescue, Beyond the Myth – A Film About Breed Discrimination, Tyke Elephant Outlaw, Food Chains, Plastic Paradise, More Than Honey, Chasing Ice, Food Matters, Give Me Shelter, Resistance, Virunga, Vanishing of the Bees, Blackfish, Live and Let Live. Vegan Netflix Guide. […]

6. […] Vegucated (2011) Vegucated follows three people as they dive head first into veganism, agreeing to try it for six weeks while educating themselves on food production. During that time period we not only see the struggles they have in order to keep a vegan diet, but we also see them become more and more passionate about it as they continue to learn. Vegucated gives a detailed argument for veganism, explores people’s resistance to meat-free diets, and delves into the ethics surrounding what we eat and why we eat it. You can also watch Vegucated on Netflix. […]

7. […] blogs, you name it. If you need some help finding the right ones, Your Daily Vegan has the top 5 Netflix documentaries for vegans, Vegan Coach lists vegan books to make your journey easy and fun, and the Academy of Culinary […]

8. […] husband and I have been eating a plant based (vegan) diet for over one year now, but this past weekend we experience our first […]

9. Miri March 27, 2015 at 5:30 am - Reply

I just thought you might want to know that none of those films (apart from Vegucated) are on Netflix anymore

• KD Traegner March 27, 2015 at 8:33 am - Reply

Hi Miri, thanks for letting us know. This article was written a few years ago so I’m sure things are a bit different now. That said, please be sure to check out Vegan Flicks (link above) for a large list of vegan documentaries available outside of Netflix. Thanks for the comment! :)

• Chuck October 10, 2016 at 9:22 pm - Reply

yes they are I just watched forks over knives this past sunday

10. dms61757 October 31, 2014 at 1:34 pm - Reply

Earthlings.com
    Gary Yourofskys best speech you will ever hear
    The Mad Cowboy
    Philip Wollen, Animals should be off the menu

11. 7 Documentary for Vegans August 12, 2014 at 1:26 pm - Reply

[…] Read the full article: from DailyVegan […]

12. VeganFIlmmaker June 11, 2014 at 9:54 pm - Reply

What a wonderful article!

If you anyone is interested in learning more about and exploring the Vegan lifestyle through film, you should take a look at the movie: Jim Morris: Lifelong Fitness. Jim Morris is a 78 year old vegan body builder and his inspiring story can be found here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUtv4slpm-U

• Ess_Elle July 30, 2014 at 3:36 pm - Reply

Thanks, this is pretty cool. I’d never heard of him before, but he is certainly an inspiration! Almost seven months clean-eating vegan now, and feeling the best I’ve ever felt in my entire life. Vegan power! :)

13. […] I hope some of you understand where i’m coming from now and I hope you learned something. If you have any questions and want to know more about vegetarianism or veganism, you can contact me on Facebook and I will be happy to tell you everything you want to know. There are many amazing documentaries about it that I think everyone should watch, it will only benefit you. Here’s a link to an article about vegan documentaries that are on Netflix; (Watch Vegucated, best documentary ever!!! It’s awesome) http://www.yourdailyvegan.com/2013/06/14/5-netflix-documentary-picks-for-vegan-viewers/ […]

14. […] Best Animal Loving Movies on Netflix […]

15. Gone vegan | The Dad Beat February 3, 2014 at 3:29 pm - Reply

[…] for ethical reasons. Problem was, I hadn’t actually applied my ethical position strictly. Numerous documentaries and articles have demonstrated that even the “organic/free range” dairy […]

16. […] Documentaries, Books, Websites. […]

17. Amy June 15, 2013 at 12:08 pm - Reply

I now have a list to watch for a sequel post…thanks! There are a few I haven’t even heard of, which is excititng.

18. Allyson Dwyer June 14, 2013 at 10:16 pm - Reply

Great list! Another great great sort-of documentary I saw on Netflix was an episode of 30 Days, where a hunter lived with an animal activist. By the end of the 30 days he was helping out at a sanctuary and was moved by the rescue of an abandoned cow. Great episode

19. Kaycee June 14, 2013 at 12:49 pm - Reply

Some other great ones:

A Beautiful Truth
    Dying to Have Known
    Food Inc.
    Food Matters
    Hungry for Change
    Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead

Thanks for sharing!

Leave A Comment