Ice cream is a dairy product that is typically made with milk from animals like cows and goats. Obviously these aren’t suitable ingredients for vegans and those who must or want to abstain from dairy products. So, are there alternatives for vegans and those who must or want to avoid dairy products? Does dairy-free and vegan ice creams contain weird ingredients and are they a good replacement for vegans?
Oh, yes. Yes, indeed.
There has been an explosion of non-dairy frozen desserts on the market in the past few years. Even some large, mainstream brands now offer dairy-free versions to accommodate this growing demand. Generally speaking, you’ll be able to find non-dairy and vegan ice cream in almost any well-stocked grocery store, right where you’d expect them to be. Even Target stocks a few brands. Be sure to try a few brands and a few different bases to find the one you like the best. I’ve broken out this shopping guide to help you find the right dairy-free base for you.
If the ice cream isn’t specifically labeled vegan or dairy-free, be sure to check the label carefully before purchasing. Look for whey, lactose, casein, caseinate, sodium caseinate, lactic acid, capric acid and milk solids, which are common animal-based dairy derivatives frequently used in ice cream.
Coconut Milk Base
- French Press Coffee Ice Cream | Glue & Glitter
- Tahini Cardamom Ice Cream | The Organic Dietitian
- 10-Minute Strawberry Ice Cream | Daily Burn
- Coconut Milk Cinnamon Ice Cream | Eat Healthy. Eat Happy.
- Peach Crisp Ice Cream | Go Dairy Free
- Toasted Coconut Ice Cream | Loving It Vegan
- Chocolate Sriracha Ice Cream | Vegan Yack Attack
- Chocolate Chip Ice Cream | Namely Marly
- Lemon Mint Ice Cream | Love Me, Feed Me
- Heavenly Hash Ice Cream | Gluten-Free Vegan Pantry
- Butter Maple Pecan | The Simple Veganista
- Peanut Butter Cookie Ice Cream | Healthy. Happy. Life.
- Peanut Butter & Oreo Ice Cream | Vegan Heaven
- Chocolate Covered Pretzel Banana Ice Cream | Connoisseurus Veg
- Cake Batter Ice Cream | The Blender Girls
- Champagne & Blueberry Ice Cream | Exceedingly Vegan
- Roasted Banana Ice Cream | Oh My Veggies
- Neapolitan Banana Ice Cream | The Veg Life
- Banana Bread Ice Cream | 24 Carrot Life
Non-Dairy Blended Bases
- Vegan Chai Ice Cream | Minimalist Baker
- Coconut Ice Cream with a Caramel Ripple | Tofu for Tots
- Coffee Ice Cream | Ceara’s Kitchen
- Cookies & Cream Ice Cream | Quite Good Food
- Brownie Chocolate Ice Cream | Minimalist Baker
- Rhubarb Ice Cream | Seitan is My Motor
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Nicecream | Rawberry Fields
- Almond Amaretto Ice Cream | Parsnips & Sprockets
- Avocado & Banana Ice Cream | Divine Healthy Food
- Almond Butter Ice Cream | Unconventional Baker
- Cashew Ice Cream | Love & Zest
- Pistachio Ice Cream | Seitan is My Motor
- Mint Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream | This Rawsome Vegan Life
- Creamy Chocolate Ice Cream | Crazy Vegan Kitchen
- Cacao Ice Cream | Oh, Ladycakes
- Chunky Monkey | The First Mess
- Poppyseed, Banana, Coconut & Rum Ice Cream | Exceedingly Vegan
- Cashew Banana Ice Cream | The Blender Girl
Truth in Advertising
I am committed to providing accurate information to the vegan community. The information and data presented on Your Daily Vegan has been meticulously researched, and is based on information available at the time of publication. Guides are periodically reviewed for accuracy and updated as necessary. Update dates can be found at the end of every guide. Please contact me if you find out-of-date or incorrect information.
Header & Social Media: Matcha Tea & Banana Ice Cream | Thinkstock
The recipe photos in this guide belong to the recipe authors as noted with each photo. Used with written permission.
This guide is authored by KD Angle-Traegner. Last update April 2017