Oh my goodness, I’m in such a bad mood. The interwebs has been flooded with negativity the past few days and, quite unfortunately, I’ve done lost my patience. And as a result, my temper. I know, I know. I normally don’t give in to pokes and jabs at being vegan. I recognize that there are still folks who have a hard time comprehending something as vast as compassion. I don’t understand it, but I know.
So maybe my bad mood and I should have stayed away from the computer- then maybe I’d be less likely to lose my temper when I read this from Erik Marcus at Vegan.com:
First. It’s iced coffee- made with, you know, ice. Which, as anyone who’s had an iced beverage knows, means that it’s not a full 31 liquid ounces of coffee. And I ain’t just talking about iced coffees here either. Kool-aid, carrot juice, liquor, it doesn’t matter- add ice to the glass and you ain’t getting the same amount as if you hadn’t. Because, and we’re gonna get all scientific here, the ice added to the beverage is gonna take up part of the room in the cup- amazing.
Second. Who are you Erik Marcus, to tell anyone that they should be institutionalized for drinking coffee?? Do you know what institutionalized means?
I could go on and on all day long about how:
- Coffee (and iced coffee beverages) can be made vegan or are vegan.
- Vegan.com is a blog that is supposedly about veganism so I refer you back to item #1: Coffee (and iced coffee beverages) can be made vegan or are vegan.
- People joke about how folks should be institutionalized without realizing that there are real people who need real help who are institutionalized. And don’t give me BS about how I should: (a) lighten up, (b) learn to take a joke, and (c) not make such a big deal out of nothing because being sick isn’t funny.
- The new Trenta size is 31 ounces of an iced coffee drink. Divide that into 8 ounce size portions and you’ve got yourself 3.8 eight ounce portions in one drink. So, round that up to 4 servings (then remove some for the ice factor) and guess what? “It is generally agreed that consuming up to 300 mg of caffeine per day is safe. That would be about the amount of caffeine you would get from three cups of coffee.” My point? Buying a Trenta size coffee doesn’t mean you’ll sip that sucker right down, all on your own. Maybe you buy one on the way to work but sip on it all day- not everyone can leave for lunch, you know. Maybe you buy one to share (hey hey, save some loot instead of ordering TWO vegan iced coffees) with a vegan pallie or your vegan love. It’s hot when a compassionate person is willing to share their vegan iced coffee- romantic even.
- Even if the pseudo subtle jab was at over-consumption (which, let’s be honest, 31 ounces of a sugared beverage isn’t healthy any way you look at it) and not towards vegans themselves, it didn’t work. I’m vegan. I drink coffee. I would buy a Trenta coffee to share with someone and I don’t need to be institutionalized. I know some folks who are, who need it, who are getting help, and who don’t deserve someone making light of their personal struggles. Because, like I said before, being sick isn’t funny.
- I refuse to believe that insulting your readers is good for page views because, who likes to be insulted?
- Knocking your readers for drinking a vegan drink (regardless of the amount) makes you an asshole a not very nice person.
See? I told you I shouldn’t have turned on the computer today. Maybe then I wouldn’t have let my temper call Erik Marcus an asshole a not very nice person. Maybe.
But since I did, I’m just going to take a lot of deep breaths and look at this cute shit till it numbs my brain.