How Should You Avoid Danger? By Scalloping Away, Of Course

By Published On: 17 July 2013Last Updated: 17 January 2017

I walked away with a better understanding and respect for scallops. I think everyone else just walked away hungry.

What's in this post

Share This Story!

By Hay, Guest Contributor

I have a new Big Sister. As in, Big Brothers/Big Sisters. Her name is Ann. I used to have a different Big Sister, but she broke up with me. She did used to offer me food I didn’t want or couldn’t have, but I’m not sure that has anything to do with it.

Anyway, Ann is my brand new Big Sister – we’ve only met once before – so this was our second date. We went somewhere called “Marine Biologist for a Day.” I thought it would be fun as I will be a freshman at a Marine Science High School in September (I already sent my ‘Right to say no to Dissection’ letter). I thought it would be a good way for Ann to see some of the things I like. It was fun, it was all day and we really did learn a lot.

About halfway through, the person running it said, “How many of you eat scallops?”

Uh oh – my Big Sister raised her hand. Many other people raised their hands. I did not raise my hand.

They asked another kid why she didn’t and she said she likes chicken better. They asked me – sweaty silence. How much of a big deal do I want to make here? Not the best way to make friends, not the best impression for my new Big Sister. I decided to just politely say, “No, I am a vegan.” It was dropped – whew!

But moments later they started the scallop presentation. They said fishermen use giant nets covered in chain link to scrape scallops from the ocean floor. I sensed trouble – this didn’t sound like it was going to be a happy story. Once in the boat they sort out only the babies up to a year old (2 year olds and up get thrown back) – more cruelty to babies, grrrr. Fishermen pry them open with a flat knife, and scrape out all the organs except the muscle. This includes the eyes, which they said can possibly see better than we can! They also said scallops were smart! They are the only bi-valve mollusk that can escape predators. They actually flutter away! It looks like they are clapping, and they can flutter 5 feet away from a starfish, octopus, etc. More proof they can feel and also that they try to avoid danger. And the muscle that’s left is what people eat, The End. Clap clap clap… isn’t that wonderful everyone?

WHY ARE THEY TELLING THIS TO CHILDREN – and in such detail after I just told them I was a vegan? I thought I just might throw up. I kept it together, thinking I didn’t want to make a scene and I didn’t want another Big Sister to break up with me.

I walked away with a better understanding and respect for scallops. I think everyone else just walked away hungry. Sigh…

Photo credit: Hay

2 Comments

1. Tony July 17, 2013 at 6:53 pm - Reply

I’m in the BB/BS program too. I’d love to have you for a Little! My Little is great but a vegan would be a fun match as well.

2. Robin July 17, 2013 at 5:58 pm - Reply

Hay is the baddest!!!!! Love reading her posts. It is written with insight and humor.

Leave A Comment

HELLO! I'm KD Angle-Traegner.

Writer, activist, and founder of Four Urban Paws Sanctuary. I’m on a mission to help people live a vegan life. Read more about KD…

SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW

JOIN OUR MAILING LIST