St. Patrick’s Day, named after Saint Patrick, is celebrated on March 17, which is this Sunday. The saint’s religious feast day and the anniversary of his death in the fifth century has been observed on this day by the Irish as a religious holiday for over 1,000 years. Traditionally, Irish families would attend church in the morning and celebrate by dancing, drinking, and feasting on bacon and cabbage for the remainder of the day.
Although not a legal holiday anywhere in the US, celebrations including prominent displays of the color green, feasting, copious consumption of alcoholic beverages and cocktails, and parades are had throughout the country.
These days, creating a fun-filled vegan version of the holiday has never been easier. Need help planning the perfect menu? Want some (vegan) green beer? Cocktails? Cool shirt? We got you covered and more. Enjoy.
Plan Your Menu
- Irish-ish Soda Bread from Manifest Vegan
- Vegan Corned Beef and Cabbage from Fat Free Vegan Kitchen
- Vegan Stuffed Cabbage from Vegan She Knows
- Stew, Brown Bread, and Stout Cake from Vegan Miss
- Dublin Coddle with Vegan Irish Sausage from Fat Free Vegan Kitchen
- Vegan Corned Beef & Reuben Sandwich from Vegan Dad
- Quinoa & Mushroom Gravy Shepard’s Pie from Vegan Sparkles
- Irish Apple Mash from Jolinda Hackett
- Roasted cabbage with lemon from Kalyn’s Kitchen
- Vegan Potatoes O’Brien from Food Stains
- Fluffy Mashed Potatoes from Post Punk Kitchen
- Potato Pancakes from Post Punk Kitchen
- Make Green, Vegan Icing from TLC
- Irish Whiskey Cake from C’est La Vegan
- Vegan Green Matcha Tea Cupcakes from Peasoupeats
- Dairy-free Shamrock Shake from Healthy. Happy. Life
- A Very Vegan St. Patrick’s Day Shake from Project Kale
Geting your (vegan) drink (drunk) on.
A quick note about becoming a vegan imbiber. Go, have fun. Meet up with friends, dance with strangers, have a good time. When you are ready to leave, don’t drink and drive. Plan ahead, get a designated driver, call a cab, call a friend, call your mom. Just don’t do it. All it takes is one time, one mistake, to change lives. It’s not worth it. Drink responsibly.
- Barnivore is the go-to guide for vegan drinking.
- The Healthy Voyager has Healthy Boozing Tips and the perfect companion, St. Patrick’s Day Hangover Fighting Foods.
- Vegan Beer Guide from VegNews
- Homemade Bailey’s Irish Cream from Oh She Glows
YDV Tip: Ditch that moster hangover headache the next day – drink a kombucha. Seriously, it works.
St. Patrick’s Day Events
I thought I’d find a bunch of these, I didn’t. If you are having an event or know of one- let me know and I’ll add it to this list.
- Vegan & Gluten Free St. Patrick’s Day Cooking Class from Chef Jenn Felmley (San Diego, California)
- St. Patrick’s Day Green Brunch from Montclair Vegans Meetup (Montclair, NJ)
- St. Patrick’s Day Potluck from Dallas Vegans Meetup (Dallas, TX)