Some days, it pays to have a stock pile of vegan waffles in your freezer. Okay hell, any day is a good day to have waffles in your freezer. Particularly if they are my very special vegan egg-no waffles. Hands down, these are my favorite. waffles. ever. Each hearty waffle is packed with the rich flavors of cardamom, fresh nutmeg, and jamaican allspice. A perfect vehicle, try topping these waffles with baked apples, caramelized figs, or spiced nuts- or keep things simple with some vegan butter and maple syrup. Either way, these are going to make your belleh happy very happy. Very happy indeed.
Heads up, these waffles are the perfect freezer food. In fact, I prefer to freeze these first. They go straight from the freezer to the toaster, and the toasting adds a lovely crunch on the outside of the waffle that the waffle iron just can’t seem to make. But if you like your waffles a bit softer, by all means eat them the same day. I like to make these in batches, ending up with roughly three dozen waffles. But we’re not here to judge, you make as many as you want.
Dee-licious Egg-no Waffles
Makes 12 waffles
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 cup non-dairy milk (I used almond)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp Jamaican allspice
Add all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix until combined and no lumps remain. Cook according to waffle iron directions. (Since no waffle irons are the same, check your iron’s directions to see how long each waffle needs to cook.)
- Always, always, always spray your waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray in between waffles. I’m talking top and bottom. Trust me, it makes a difference and your waffles will thank you.
- Actually read the directions for your waffle iron. Not all machines are the same. Duh, I know but still.
- Let the waffles cool on a cooling rack prior to freezing. If you put warm waffles into freezer bags, the steam will make your waffles soggy (and a mess to defrost). No one likes soggy waffles. No one.
- Mix it up! If you don’t have Jamaican allspice, try regular allspice. The base recipe holds up well to different spices. Try mixing and matching different flours for different flavors like spelt or oat flour.
- Have fun!