By KD Angle-Traegner, Founder & Editor
Cranberries and pecans are lovingly surrounded by a light orange maple cake. Flecked throughout the muffin are hints of the coarse ground salt I had used. And like wine, these bad boys get better with age and are fantastic the next morning with coffee. To make them, I used a mashup of recipes from Vegan Brunch and the Cranberry-Orange Bread from VegWeb. Both are stellar recipes so I didn’t change them too much.
So, if you’ve got 30 minutes, you’ve got muffins.
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup vegan granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt (I used coarse salt)
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup cranberries (I used fresh) roughly chopped
- 1 cup pecans roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Line muffin tin with cups or lightly grease & flour.
- In large bowl mix: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- In glass measuring cup add: orange juice, oil, extracts, and maple syrup- mix until combined.
- In center of bowl, make a well. Pour in wet ingredients. Mix until just combined. Do not over mix!
- Gently fold in cranberries and nuts.
- Fill cups about three-quarters full and you’ll get 12 muffins. Fill them to the top for giant muffins, you’ll get 10.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes. When the toothpick comes out clean, they’re done.