Alice Cooper Really is ‘No More Mr. Nice Guy’

Home>Alice Cooper Really is ‘No More Mr. Nice Guy’

By Crystal Tremblay, Guest Contributor

I have never really looked at Alice Cooper in a negative way.  Some of his music is pretty rad and he did help shape the heavy metal genre.  A recent interview with the rock star, however, has changed how I view him as a person.  Apparently Mr. Cooper is all up in arms over the current state of rock and roll music.  He was recently interviewed by Fuse about bands such as Mumford & Sons and The Lumineers and his response was less than nice.

“I just feel like this whole generation maybe need to all eat a steak,” he said to Fuse.  “Maybe they just need to quit eating vegetarian food and get out there and get some blood pumping in their system.”  He continued by saying, “Rock and roll is not about ‘Happy, happy, happy.  Everything’s okay.”  He added that he does believe there is a place for this style of music, but it is not rock and roll.  He went so far to say that these bands are “an offense” to the genre.  Say what?!

Now, I would not say Alice Cooper and Mumford & Sons are the same style of rock and roll, but they both encompass what rock and roll is all about:  individuality and doing what you want despite what people think.  Secondly, not all of the Mumford & Sons or The Lumineers music is all happy happy joy joy.  Lastly, and more importantly, I find it very offensive that he claims steak makes someone rock and roll.  Think of the likes of Davey Havok, Dan Briggs, William Faith, Travis Barker, and Dan Briggs.  As a rock fan myself, I don’t think veganism takes away their badassness.  In fact, I think it makes them even more rock and roll.

Photo Credit:  Dunechaser

Crystal went vegan after a professor opened her eyes to the horrors of factory farming. She earned a degree in Environmental Science and another in Politics and Law. Always a fan of the written word, Crystal writes about veganism in all facets of life including college papers, social media, and most recently, her vegan blog.

One Comment

1. cattyface January 11, 2016 at 11:42 pm - Reply

You actually think he meant it literally “eat a steak”. He also said that Mumford and Sons are very good at what they do for their genre of music. M%S never claimed to be rock. I think Mr. Cooper is correct in saying that at this pint we have very little real rock bands. I personally think myself everything tanked about 2007 or so. No staying power. I like one song than bands vanish. He also said labels set them up to fail by signing only 2 albums them dropping them in another interview. You need to hear more interviews by him. He really doesn’t insult others. He is an Icon without a doubt. If Mumford and Sons get upset the majority of us do not care. Alice too more criticism as a young musician and laughed it off and became a legend. Can any hipster bands do that? Let me know if you know of any.

Leave A Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.