By KD Angle-Traegner, Founder & Editor

What if I told you that there is an easy and fun way to advocate veganism that has the potential to reach untold amounts of people from all over the world? Would you do it? You might. What if I told you that it’s also one of the most successful ways to share veganism with people? What I’m talking about isn’t revolutionary or even new. It’s blogging and you should start doing it right now.

Practically everyone reads blogs. They’re an integral part of online culture. Whether they are official news blogs, topic-based blogs related to work or play, or blogs written purely for entertainment, almost everyone has at least one favorite blog they read regularly. The rate of growth of the number of blogs is remarkable given their relatively short history. The first blog was created in 1994 by a Swarthmore College student named Justin Hall. By 1999, there were only 23 blogs on the internet. By the middle of 2006 however, 50 million. At the end of 2010, 152 million. Today, virtually every mainstream news source has at least one blog, as does every corporation, and lots of individuals. Blogs aren’t going away. They are only going to continue to grow and flourish.

So, why am I telling you to jump on the blogging bandwagon? To help animals, as always.

How to Help Animals by Blogging

Starting a vegan blog is a great way to combine your love of animals and your passion for vegan activism. Plus, let’s be honest- it’s fun and could even turn into a full-time career.

Perhaps you love to bake vegan cupcakes and share them with other people. You could start a blog about vegan cupcake advocacy. Maybe you’re passionate about the environmental impact of a non-vegan diet. Start a blog! Love vegan fashion? Start a blog! Love talking about animals? Start a blog! Passionate about sharing vegan news? Start a blog! Love vegan ethics? We do, too! Start a blog! Everyone has something of value to offer the blogging community.

After living a vegan lifestyle, talking about veganism and sharing vegan information is one of the most important things you can do as an advocate. It’s true. Most people have been told their entire lives that animals are food, fabric, or anything else we wanted them to be. They have been told this so much that they use animal products and by-products without even thinking too much about it at all. To them, a pig is pork and a cow is beef. Animal Agribusiness has been on a mission since its inception to misdirect our attention so that we’ll forget that animals are individuals with interests of their own. Here’s the scary part- it worked. Most people, if you ask them, love animals and don’t want to hurt them. Yet, they don’t realize that a non-vegan lifestyle does just that.

It’s important that people know the full story about how we use animals. It’s important that we tell them. Remember, most people don’t want to hurt animals, so when they find out that they are, they generally stop. Exposing people to veganism provides them the opportunity to make choices that are more aligned with their own beliefs.

Of course, this concept isn’t new. We’ve talked about it before in the article Omnivore Amnesia:

“Likening becoming vegan to taking the red pill in The Matrix is not a new concept, but hell if it isn’t accurate. You wake up, you see the food industry for what it really is, you see the shape the environment is in, and you want to shout from the rooftops. You want to share this information, because you know – you know – that everyone’s going to want to take the red pill along with you.”

I was led to veganism because of vegan information that I had become exposed to. It changed my life. I know that there are lots of people just like me. If you’re one of them, then you know how important it is to get the information out there.

The animals need more voices sharing their stories- they need our voices.

Getting Started

Luckily for the would-be vegan blogger, there are no shortages of blogging platforms on the internet. You could sign up for a few social media accounts or other micro-blogging account, or you can purchase your own domain name and create a site that is uniquely your own.

I sincerely believe that it can only benefit the animals to have more vegan websites on the internet, so I put together some information to help people get started. I know that hosting-domain names-WordPress-website-stuff can be confusing when you’re just starting out- it was for me, too. That’s why I put together How to Start a Vegan Blog, a step-by-step guide on how to start your own vegan blog, and Resources for Vegan Bloggers, tools to help make blogging easier. I’ve put some tips in there and I hope you’ll check it out.

If you do decide to start a blog, and I hope you will, please leave the address in the comments so I can come and visit.

Blogging might not be the first thing you think about when you think about vegan advocacy tools, but a vegan blog has the potential to go viral- taking the message of veganism along with it. Getting vegan information in front of as many eyes as possible is an important step in creating a vegan world. Having more vegan blogs will help do just that.

Read the Blogging as Activism series!

This article is part of Your Daily Vegan’s Blogging as Activism series where you’ll learn how to create, design, and promote a vegan blog. Learn how to start your own vegan blog by checking out How to Start a Vegan Blog (In Three Easy Steps). Because, the more voices joining together the louder the message will be.