Editor’s Note: For the past month we’ve been featuring articles about vegan athletics written by Anne-Marie Campbell, Founder of Meat Free Athlete. In this article, Anne-Marie offers up some great resources for the new vegan athlete. At the end of the article I’m going to tell you how you can win a Vega Sport prize package to help get you inspired to take your fitness to the next level. – KD
It’s never been a better time to be a vegan athlete! There is a ton of information and resources out there, and it’s just becoming more visible as veganism continues to gain attention and popularity.
I’ve compiled a list of some of the best and most trust-worthy resources to help you start out with a great arsenal of information to guide and support your active, vegan lifestyle.
Health & Nutrition
Get health and nutrition answers from qualified sources. These websites will help you take charge of your health and give you the knowledge to reap the benefits of the vegan lifestyle.
I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention the Vegan Nutrition section of Your Daily Vegan; it’s filled with articles from dietitians and nutritionists that specialize in that area.
Recipes Fit for Athletes
If you search for vegan recipes online, you’ll find countless great resources! Here are some of my top picks for delicious and easy recipes that are perfect for athletes to incorporate on training days and rests days alike.
- Developed by Brendan Brazier, Thrive Forward is a free, online program to help guide you into healthy, active living. Clean, athlete focused recipes and tips.
- The Engine 2 Diet includes traditional recipes made healthy, using whole food plant-based ingredients. Developed by Rip Esselstyn, a former world-class professional tri-athlete.
- The Plant Powered Kitchen by Dreena Burton serves up healthy recipes great for athletes and those wanting to eat clean, unprocessed foods.
- The Colorful Kitchen has lots of vegan, gluten free, healthy, colorful, and easy-to-make recipes by Ilene, a Certified Holistic Health Coach.
- blog.fatfreevegan.com – Great resource of recipes made with whole foods and without added oils.
RELATED: Vegan Recipes
Inspiration and Info for Athletes
Check out these great resources from vegan athletes leading by example and fitness websites that are packed with great workouts, tips, and inspiration!
- MeatFreeAthlete.com – Of course, I’ve got to mention my own site, right? It’s a vegan resource and lifestyle blog, with contributors, including myself, sharing vegan recipes, workouts, tips, and featuring vegan athletes of all sports and levels. (Get Featured!)
- PlantBuilt.com – A great group of compassionate athletes that compete as a team to show and prove that you can be healthy and strong as a vegan athlete.
- VeganBodyBuilding.com – One of the first great vegan athlete resources online, founded by Robert Cheeke.
- Definition Magazine – One of the best magazines out there! It’s a quality magazine packed with inspirational athletes, tips, and advice.
Documentaries and Movies
Fortunately, there’s been a rise in the number of excellent, thought provoking documentaries and films released in recent years! They help educate the masses, exposing us to the hidden world of food production, our use of animals, and the effect on the environment, animals and our health.
- Earthlings – This film is hard to watch, but it’s an important one to see and share because it shows the behind-the-scenes truth of the horrific things we do to animals in our society.
- Forks Over Knives – A great film that examines the relationship between diet and disease. Following Dr. Campbell and Dr. Esselstyn as they help people make life saving changes to their diet through whole food, plant-based eating.
- Vegucated – This documentary follows three New Yorkers as they try eating vegan for 6 weeks.
- Cowspiracy – Brings to light the largest contributor of green house gases on this planet… animal agriculture.
You can find these movies and many more at Vegan Flicks, a vegan movie, TV, and DVD guide.
- Happy Cow – A very helpful website and mobile app that helps you find vegan food in different cities. Excellent when travelling!
- My Fitness Pal – A free food journal mobile app to help track your daily nutritional intake.
- Cronometer – Highly detailed breakdown of your vitamins, minerals, and proteins. It’s free online, but the mobile app is a paid one.
- 21-Day Vegan Kickstart – A 21-day vegan meal plan, tips, and motivation based on research by Neal Barnard, M.D. and PCRM. Get the App or Join Online.
- Leaping Bunny – A free online directory and mobile app that allows you to search companies and products to see if they have been tested on animals.
- Humane Seal – Before donating to a charity, you can make sure they don’t use your money to fund animal experiments by searching their online database. There’s a great list of approved charities to browse.
- Is It Vegan? – A useful mobile app, especially for new vegans, that allows you to scan products at the store and it will tell you whether or not it’s vegan.
- VeganXpress – A handy iOS app that helps you pick out the vegan options at non-vegan restaurants. This can be great when you’re out with non-vegan co-workers, friends or family.
- Barnivore – If you have an occasional drink, you can search this online database or mobile app and find out which alcohol brands and products are vegan.
These resources are a great starting point, and as you start checking them out you’ll likely stumble upon even more resources! The list above will help you thrive as a vegan athlete and guide you to live a healthy, compassionate lifestyle.
If you’re looking for more resources or help on your journey as a vegan athlete, make sure to check out my last four articles in this series on Vegan Athletics 101: How to Get Started and be sure to check me out on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.
Vega Sport Giveaway
Hi! KD here. I hope you’ve been following all the articles in this 5-part series and have found helpful information to assist you on your fitness journey, I know that I certainly have. Now I’d like help you start out on your journey armed with a kick-ass giveaway sponsored by our friends over at Vega.
One lucky reader will receive an assortment of the Vega Sport Nutrition System (approx. value $100) developed by super athlete Brendan Brazier. Clean, plant-based, natural, and Informed Choice certified, the three-stage Vega Sport Nutrition System is specifically developed to help athletes perform at their best—before, during, and after training and competition. You can find out more information about the system at www.VegaSport.com.
If that wasn’t awesome enough, because it totally is, Vega has offered YDV readers 20% off and FREE shipping on any Vega purchase. Just enter code: DailyVegan (offer expires 4/28/15).
a Rafflecopter giveaway
This giveaway is open to US and Canada readers only. Note: Prize cannot be shipped to a PO box.
No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited and all that. This giveaway
runs April 14, 2015 through April 28, 2015. is now over.