I have an on-going love affair of savory scones, and it’s because of these scones right here.
I’ve talked about these scones before; they’re a little sweet and a whole lot savory, and they have the perfect balance of flavor. As much as I’d like to, I can’t take credit for coming up with these tasty delights. No, these scones are from Isa Chandra Moskowitz and published several years ago in one of my very favorite vegan cookbooks, Vegan Brunch.
As an aside, I had a conversation with Isa one time about Vegan Brunch. Well, calling it a conversation is a little bit generous. It was more like me gushing to her like a #1 fan and her listening politely. I was gushing about how I loved Vegan Brunch, and Isa told me that, shockingly, it was least popular of all her cookbooks.
I found that astounding. My copy is worn and stained from all the use it gets at my house.
Savory, Savory Scones
If you’ve made anything by Isa before, then you know that her recipes are bursting at the seams with flavor, and these vegan tomato rosemary scones are no exception. I modified the recipe only slightly; I cut down on the sugar and added red pepper flakes as well as a ton of fresh cracked pepper. I also added much more rosemary because I love how fragrant it is in these scones.
I like these tomato rosemary & black pepper scones because they only require just a few cheap ingredients, taste amazing, and they’re quick to make. I can get a batch done in about 30 minutes.
I might add some fresh chopped sage to this recipe the next time I make them because sage is the perfect complement to rosemary.
There are delicious, wonderfully savory possibilities, that’s what I’m saying here.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- One 14 oz can of tomato sauce (1 1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped rosemary
- Lots of fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine: flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, fresh cracked pepper, red chili flakes, and rosemary.
- In a large measuring cup whisk together: tomato sauce, vinegar, and oil.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the tomato/oil mixture. Gently mix together. Don't over-mix, you don't want to develop the gluten in the flour- mix only until the batter is loosely holding together.
- Lightly flour a clean work surface and turn the dough onto it. Gently knead until a soft dough forms; keeping mind not to over-mix. (The dough should have some flour patches when done)
- Divide dough into two sections and form each into a six inch disk. Slice each disk into six pieces, like a pizza pie. I use a pizza cutter to do this and it works perfect!
- Bake for 10 - 14 minutes.
Optional: Add other fresh chopped herbs like chives or sage. If you don't care for heat, omit the red chili flakes.
Adapted from Vegan Brunch by Isa Chandra Moskowitz
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 188Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 503mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 4g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix