The Plant-Based Baby and Toddler: Your Complete Feeding Guide for the First 3 Years Overview
More of us are turning to plant-focused diets for our health and the environment’s health. But there haven’t been reliable, evidence-based resources out there for a new generation of compassionate, conscientious parents–until now. The Plant-Based Baby and Toddler is your go-to resource, offering easy-to-digest nutritional facts and guidelines that aren’t available elsewhere, with a special focus on the most important period of a child’s life when it comes to developing good eating habits: infancy and toddlerhood.
Whitney and Alex discuss:
- The PB3 plate: a visual guide to structuring nutritionally balanced meals–1/3 fruits and vegetables; 1/3 legumes, nuts and seeds; and 1/3 grains and starches–and easy to adapt for the entire family
- how to meet needs for critical nutrients such as iron
- a primer on both traditional purees and the baby-led weaning/feeding approach
- strategies for dealing with challenges such as picky eaters
- sorting fact from fiction when it comes to non-dairy milk and other substitutes
- 50+ plant-based recipes created specifically for stages from first bites to age three
As dietitians and moms, Whitney and Alex pored over nutrition journals and called on the experts to learn how to provide their babies with the best diet possible. They found that plant-based diets are associated with a reduced risk of obesity, decreased cholesterol levels, and increased fruit and vegetable intake; in short, not only are they safe for kids, they’re pretty freaking awesome.
About the Authors
Alexandra Caspero, MA, RD, RYT, is a registered dietitian nutritionist with more than ten years of experience counseling on plant-based diets and sports nutrition. She is the author of Fresh Italian Cooking for the New Generation, which features 100+ predominantly plant-based Italian recipes.
Whitney English Tabaie, MS, RDN, CPT, is a registered dietitian, nutritionist and journalist who has reported in the health and wellness for over ten years. Her website, YouTube channel, and social media platforms provide readers with evidence-based, easily digestible information on popular nutrition topics and healthy original recipes.